So why make yogurt?
Ingredients and Supplies:
- Pour milk into a large crock pot. Set to LOW for 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn crock pot off and let sit with lid on for 3 hours.
- Add yogurt, place lid back on, and wrap the crock pot with a bath towel. The goal is to make a dark insulated environment for the cultures to grow.
- Let crock pot sit covered, not heating for 8-12 hours. I usually start my process between 3 and 4 in the afternoon.
- After your 8 hours, you will have created YOGURT!
- Line a strainer with a cheesecloth and strain yogurt to desired consistency.
- Strain for 15-30 minutes. The longer you strain the thicker it gets. (Note: If you accidentally strain for too long simply add some of the whey back in and stir.)
- Save the whey to make smoothies or use in recipes like pancakes and muffins to replace the milk.
I add vanilla flavoring, fruit, granola, or maple syrup when serving. What do you like with your yogurt?